There are three core mistakes which we know somewhere deep within, and these lie at the root of all problems in life.
- ATTACHMENT as “mine” to things and people WE HAVE – Possessiveness factor.
- ATTACHMENT to an object, person or situation WE DON’T HAVE – desire to possess more.
- ATTACHMENT to short lived pleasures and self-centered projects. Misuse of whatever LIMITED WE HAVE i.e. time, things, relations, power, strengths, abilities, situations. Let’s call it misuse factor.
Signs of possessiveness
- In relations we feel this as Personal–ness and control.
- For things this may express as ownership and monopolize the use.
- With respect to money – greediness and hoarding.
- With respect to religion or faith it may come as an attack or defense or as disrespect towards others’ religion and faith. Impositions of thoughts and beliefs and hankering for others to follow it.
- When we are interested more in rights and less in duties.
- When losses disturbs us more and profits puts in compulsive plans for future.
Few life scenarios
- Scratches on car, little unhappy day to day incidents triggering unconscious negative reactions in speech, thought or action.
- Tendency to doubt on our spouse for having some secret affair.
- In professional life we may exhibit it as micro-management, stress and peer pressure.
- Wanting “this mind” to be silent as it is “my mind” and we practice years to achieve desired silence and miss out on the “personal-ness”, which is actually the root cause of disturbance.
- Over consciousness of weight, physical beauty, health care is attachment to body. And getting trapped in social quo is attachment to imaginary self-image.
Fundamental issues with possessiveness
- Money – no matter how much we hoard, it never makes us feel secure and danger of sudden losses prevails even more with bigger numbers. Fear and insecurity obstruct the flow and fullness of life.
- Things – We can not control the decay of personal possessions. And it’s impossible to use it up all for ourselves. Things are meant for sharing and serving others but we restrict and deprive others in need by accumulation.
- People – Either we will leave them or they will leave us. If we control them then they would want to leave earlier to have breathing space, and in return we feel the agony of dependency on them. Externally we seem to control them but we are actually sickly bonded to them.
- Situations – Our attachment to favourable life situations create resistance to change and we live in fear and suffer from boredom.
Three ways to dissolve
Acceptance of Truth
Here important thing is to firm up the conviction that nothing in this world is owned independently by us. So there is nothing like personal – not even a single atom. Respecting this realization with all sincerity and stepping back from foolishness of “I own this or that” frees us from bondage. We regain peace, fearlessness and relax deeply at the center. This deep relaxation and return-to-home is also referred technically as enlightenment. Which is just dependent on inner “yes” to our knowing that “we own nothing” and discard misconceptions of “me and mine” developed in ignorance. That’s it. No practice of any sort needed further. To undo myth or delusions just recognizing it as myth and firm conviction is enough. For any habitual slippages later, we would grow in wisdom, as we go on noticing our possessiveness as root problem of all problems. Just this acceptance of truth is enough for transformation.
This is to make good use of available power and facilities in service of others and give up on rights and expectations we generally develop in process of connecting with others. Dropping rights in relations does not develop new dependencies, anger and resentment. Zero expectations keeps us free. Selfless contributions melts away the existing attachment and it’s side effects like control, ego and possessiveness developed over the period. This also settles our compulsiveness to DO, which can never be dissolved by self centered actions. This is secret of Karm-yoga – doing for others and expecting nothing in return. Moreover, protection of others’ rights keep them happy and restore peace in our world of interactions, ripple positivism and peace endlessly.
O My Lord !
I belong to you and all things are yours and so are other beings.I see, with wisdom you have given, that all power and facilities available is for helping each other and never to harm.If I forget this understanding please do remind me with loving or troubling reminders as you feel appropriate, as ever.Please help me getting rid of personal-ness and ownership of things bestowed. Before you and your love I feel like surrendering but my ego and it’s strings come in way of surrender.May you always save me from assuming anything or anyone as personal. Everything is yours including me and mine little individuality.Things are pure and pristine in your kingdom but become impure and constricted if we label as “mine”.My lovely.. save me from my foolishness….dishonesty …and mistakes !May I ever respect and value the wisdom that you have given me to operate in this beautiful world of yours.You have saved so many and me too depending on your grace…
( Spend some moments in stillness after prayer )
Fearlessness, peace, freedom, contributions, and love are real ingredients of evolved human being.
The details on other two core mistakes we would take in future posts.